Seven Things You Can Do To Improve Your Life…Right Now
I just got off the phone with a coaching client I hadn’t talked with in a while.
Great guy, but he got himself in a pickle because he forgot one of the basic rules of achievement and well being…
As often as possible, stay in a space that feels good, not bad.
And that’s not because we shouldn’t stretch and grow. It’s because when we feel good, we draw good stuff to ourselves.
And not just things. Actions and choices too.
So I gave him some of the coaching techniques I offer in HOW TO RECEIVE, which he read a while back.
And I told him to start feeling good…right now.
And…I’m inviting you to do the same.
In fact, let me give you seven things you can do to improve your life…yeah, right now.
1. Breathe. We often get very caught up in our drama…to the point where we forget to nourish ourselves with oxygen and purge the toxins building up in our body. Yes, we will breathe no matter what…it’s an involuntary process.
But we can make it a point to honor and enrich our body by deliberately filling it with good nutritious air and letting go of the carbon dioxide waste product. We can expand the capacity of our lungs to hold onto the good stuff. We can increase our capacity. And we can better control the vessel that our souls live in known as our body.
And what breathing also does is help us to…
2. Slow Down. So much of the crappy stuff we experience is the result of letting circumstances control us rather than the other way around. When you slow down, you allow yourself to process what is going on more clearly than if you just react to the circumstances around you. It also lowers your blood pressure, lets you digest your food better, and become a better observer of what goes on around you.
3. Eat Something Colorful. And let’s clarify that statement…colorful doesn’t mean bright blue bubble gum or cotton candy. And it definitely doesn’t mean make believe hydration drinks. Colorful is the bright green of broccoli, the dark green of spinach or kale, the sunburst orange of fresh cantaloupe, the mysterious blue of blackberries. I’m talking phytonutrients, people! The stuff that makes our cells happy and allows our bodies to function the way they are supposed to. All the synthetic vitamins in the world won’t take the place of the perfectly provocative papaya!
4. Apologize. Here’s my experience…and maybe yours. If I’m in a quarrel and I know I’m wrong, it usually takes me some time before I can admit it to the other person. My ego gets involved, and it takes a while to come back off the ledge. But when I do, it’s a huge weight off my shoulders. I’ve got my sense of right and wrong back, I let go of the feeling of having screwed up, and I feel good knowing I set things right with another person. I feel more like a grown up after I’ve apologized. And I feel more like a grown up after I…
5. Forgive. It doesn’t matter who did what to you. It doesn’t matter when they did it, how badly it hurt, or how much they did or didn’t apologize for it. When you walk around in anger or resentment, it tears you apart. It’s a cold blanket of negativity, and it keeps out all kinds of good stuff, including new opportunities. You don’t have to forget. You don’t have to let your guard down around the person who hurt you. Just let go of the resentment…whether you tell them or now. Besides, I can almost guarantee they have another side to the story, and they believe it as firmly as you believe yours.
6. Walk Instead Of Drive. When I walk to our local shopping center, about a mile and half away, I experience things I never get to experience at 40 miles an hour. I see and hear water flowing from the reservoir. I see deer. I see the little old Italian man with the impossible sideburns taking care of his front lawn (and he waves to me). I experience life…how it smells, sounds and sometimes tastes. It puts a charge in me that lasts all day.
7. Laugh. I suppose I don’t even need to say it, but I will. Laughing is our defense against sadness, tragedy, pain. It is bravery. It lets us escape from patterns that don’t serve us. And it just feels so freakin’ good!
Got something that can improve people’s lives…right now?
Please comment and share. Make someone’s life better…right now!